Saturday, April 28, 2007

Bouncing Off Clouds!

I can't find my digital camera right now, but if I could, I'd upload a picture of me grinning with my copy of American Doll Posse.

Yes!!! The new album is mine, as of this morning, when my darling mother decided to treat me, under the promise of housework. Sure, I'll do the hoovering if it means getting my mitts on the Limited Edition version. Which is the version I plumped for, even though I promised myself I wouldn't. I've done this with Radiohead's Hail to the Thief and Tori's Scarlett's Walk and a couple others, and the problem with Special Editions is that they never fit onto my cd shelf. Which is a minor annoyance, but I cannot resist the lure of a lush fold-out package with an extra dvd promising bonus material and postcards.

I'm glad I chose the Special Edition, in the end. The packaging is really great; numerous striking photographs of Tori dolled up in dresses and wigs, short blurbs introducing us to the 4 new concept characters (nothing straightforward about them, no "favourite colour" bullshit to let us into their personalities. although Pip's line "Alternatively, to think that some cheerleaders don't have razors in their snatch is to be foolishly unarmed" made me snort with laughter). The dvd is minor, there's no interviews or studio footage but we do get footage of them shooting the cover art and photographs, plus there's a great great great song, "My Posse Can Do" that should have been included on the album proper.

So, onto the album. At 23 tracks, it's far too long. That's not really up for debate, most anyone will agree that 10 or 12 great songs is far better than an album twice as long, but half as good. After only one full-through listen (though it was an "attentive, no reading the new issue of Empire, through headphones" kinda listen) I'm still a little hazy in some parts. There are some definite stand-outs already, single "Big Wheel", the respectfully barbed "Yo George", the jaunty "Programmable Soda". Tori starts channeling her neglected fan-favourite "Take To The Sky" on the Russian-themed "Velvet Revolution" and there's some exquisite string sections and harmonies. And I haven't even mentioned the glam-rock stomp feel she has going on at many points, which is unexpected, but kinda awesome. I might write a proper review if I can focus my thoughts a little more cohesively, but it'll take a little while for me to break this album in, due to it's sheer magnitude. Word.

No comments: