Sunday, December 16, 2007

What you waiting for?

I've been checking Pitchfork daily for their annual Best Music list. I have a love-hate relationship with Pitchfork; they are great for music news and free tracks, but then they write a review like this (pretentious drivel) or this (oh, how funny?). Their approval is notorious for making/breaking bands and theirs is probably one of the most anticipated music lists in the western world (the music press are dying a slow, prolonged death). It's not likely to arrive for a while, but I'm curious. LCD Soundsystem are taking the top spot in lots of lists this year (which I found completely odd, I can't remember the album having any buzz when it came out - though I've finally heard it and it's goooood) with Boxer by The National (which I haven't heard) also proving popular. Will the Gods of Indie Snobbery follow suit? I'm going to hazard a guess and say Battles, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, lil Wayne, Jens Lenkman and Feist are going to figure prominently.

I'm also torn over my own list. Unlike Pitchfork, it's going to be a more subdued affair, with 10 or 15 places instead of 50. But I'm finding it sososo difficult. I was on a forum the other day when I was asked for my top 10 albums of 2007, no rankings necessary. I typed away merrily, clicked out of the screen and then, a minute later, was filled with dread. The list was awful. I'd forgotten half the people I needed to reward, gave spots to albums I only half liked. I was distraught (well, not really, but I was still upset). And that was without ranking them.

Of course, it's not a big deal. I'm not having a major crisis over it, for example. But I would like to know, do I rank Thurston Moore over PJ Harvey???

While I'm deliberating, here are some fantastic music-related photos from 2007 that I nicked from the site.

Sufjan looking like a badass angel

Karen O outdoes herself in the fashion department


The Go! Team

Jarvis Cocker

No comments: